RE: [Videolib] DVD disc colors?

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:16:00 -0600

We have had difficulty with DVD-Rs (purplish playing surfaces) not playing
on some PCs and some older DVD players. Given that our customers are public
libraries and one can hardly assume much of a uniformity in playback
equipment among those libraries' patrons, this seems like a problem. Having
apprised one particularly fecund vendor of short, over-priced, yet popular
video materials of the problem, we were informed that his intention was to
keep using DVD-R technology rather than "professional" pressing because it
saved him money. Given that this vendor's 12-20 min. VHS programs typically
sell for $35-$40, and that he's putting out 12-20 min. DVD programs at
slightly higher prices, I'm expecting returns to become an issue.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Pitman [mailto:vidlib@videolibrarian.com]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 4:06 PM
To: Barbara Rhodes, Media Consultant, Northeast Texas;
videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] DVD disc colors?

Hi Barbara,

DVD+R and DVD-R discs can have a purplish-blue tinge to them (or
DVD+greenish,
or clear). These can be created individually using a computer; it does not,
however, mean that the DVD in question is a "bootleg" (although if you are
talking about a major theatrical release or any studio title then I would
say that it almost certainly is). But many smaller producers are now
releasing titles on DVD+R and DVD-R, and these are perfectly legit.

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com