RE: [Videolib] DVD disc colors?

Benjamin Sprague (Sprague@riponlibrary.org)
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:01:13 -0600

Hi,

If it's a DVD-R/RW or +R/RW it will definitely be a different color than
a retail DVD (I'm not sure on what all the colors are, but I'm sure you
can find info online). Of course, we recently purchased a title from an
independent publisher which was burned and not pressed, and that wasn't
a bootleg (I hope!).

Benjamin D. Sprague
- Circulation Supervisor
- Technology Resources
Ripon Public Library
http://www.riponlibrary.org
mailto:sprague@riponlibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Barbara
Rhodes, Media Consultant, Northeast Texas
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 3:35 PM
To: Videolib list
Subject: [Videolib] DVD disc colors?

Videofolk--I do not as yet deal with DVDs, so I am ignorant on how to
answer this question. I have a librarian who called to ask if you could
indeed tell that if a DVD or CD was a bootleg by the color of the disc,
as in the disc in question was had a purplish-blue cast on the play side
rather than the customary silver. This sounds bogus to me--the
bootleggers would be out of business if their discs were that easy to
spot--but I lack real world experience to back up my supositions. Can
you lovely people help? I haven't ever run into odd colored DVDs in my
limited personal experience.

Thanks,

Barbara Rhodes
Media Consultant