RE: [Videolib] Showing parts of a film

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:13:11 -0500

Well...there goes any chance for the Cubs now.....

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica
Rosner
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 10:40 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Showing parts of a film

actually this one would be illegal but as Gary said HIGHLY unlikely to
get caught Um what did you mean by Fair use for "news" . These are
entertainment films You can check the exact wording on the "fair use"
section but it is clearly limited to a VERY small portion of the work
and 10 minutes is going WAY past that. If it were say one minute clips
it would probably qualify. Amount is only ONE factor but that just means
it MUST be a SMALL sample ( sorry someone else will have to look up the
exact wording of the statute) AND meet the OTHER criteria ( the post
implied that somehow this is lesser factor for being only one of many
when in fact that means there are numerous hurdles to qualifying for
"fair use')

I know their are some academic guidelines somewhere on how to determine
what qualifies ( Gary again) but again 10 minutes is not gonna make it
if a rights holder actually cared to pursue it

now isn't it nice to have the earth back on its axis with Jed and I back
disagreeing?

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International