Re: [Videolib] Showing parts of a film

MileFilms@aol.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:59:13 EST

--part1_e4.623eb355.2f34e7c1_boundary

In a message dated 2/4/05 9:29:22 AM, JedH@internetvideoarchive.com writes:

> I disagree.=A0 I COULD be legal
>=20

I love this typo. Jed, just how old ARE you? And is this New York legal or=20
Ohio legal?

<<if he is 'recontextualizing' the material...as in doing a news report.=A0=20
There is nothing that says Fair Use for news is limited to brand names or wi=
de=20
distribution>>

Nonetheless, the reasoning is shakey and in fact, incorrect. The News has to=
=20
pay for or clear clip rights for movies just as everybody else does. How did=
I=20
find out? Early on in my career, I was working early one morning alone at=20
Kino the day that Rock Hudson died and every news station in the country cal=
led=20
for clearance for clips of GIANT. Since then I've had to deal with a lot of=20
news stations on clearances and my friend at CBS Sunday Morning calls me eve=
ry=20
now and then to help her so I hear her war stories.

The use of Electronic Press Kits and selected clips sent by studios to=20
broadcast news for new movies are an implied clearance and in fact, there ar=
e=20
usually statements about what use is allowed on the cassette or disc.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_e4.623eb355.2f34e7c1_boundary

In a message dated 2/4/05 9:29:22 AM, JedH@internetvideoarchive.com writes:<= BR>

I disagree.=A0 I COUL= D be legal

I love this typo. Jed, just how old ARE you? And is this New York legal o= r Ohio legal?

<<
if he is 'recontextualizing' the material...as in doing a news re= port.=A0 There is nothing that says Fair Use for news is limited to brand na= mes or wide distribution>>

Nonetheless, the reasoning is shakey and in fact, incorrect. The News has to= pay for or clear clip rights for movies just as everybody else does. How di= d I find out? Early on in my career, I was working early one morning alone a= t Kino the day that Rock Hudson died and every news station in the country c= alled for clearance for clips of GIANT. Since then I've had to deal with a l= ot of news stations on clearances and my friend at CBS Sunday Morning calls=20= me every now and then to help her so I hear her war stories.

The use of Electronic Press Kits and selected clips sent by studios to broad= cast news for new movies are an implied clearance and in fact, there are usu= ally statements about what use is allowed on the cassette or disc.