RE: [Videolib] Showing parts of a film

Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:06:35 -0700

All,

We have to remember that Fair Use is not cut and dried, but a weighing for 4
factors, Purpose, Nature, Amount and Effect. Often it is easy to make clear
decisions, but other times, not so easy. One portion of 107 states that
fair use is for "purposes "such as criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching..., scholarship, or research". Note that this is not
comprehensive ("such as"). In section one (which is often cited as allowing
or disallowing fair use) it reiterates this initial statement, but only in
part, by saying "the purpose and character of the use, including whether
such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational
purposes." Note once again that this includes, but is not limited to these
purposes/characters of use.

That said, this is still a borderline use. It is obviously not commercial,
it is educational and nonprofit (note that it does not specify here, as it
does in the TEACH ac, that this have anything to do with a class that
students are enrolled in, etc., just that it is educational and nonprofit)
and the effect on the market is basically zip. However, the nature of the
copyrighted work works against Fair Use (artistic work) and the amount and
substantiality may also work against it (depending on the length of the
originals and where the clips are taken from.

I think you could have a good case,

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210