Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Videolib] Fair use of videos]]

Meghann R Matwichuk (mtwchk@UDel.Edu)
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:41:49 -0500 (EST)

>> I agree with Gary--if you want to establish two-tiered pricing, be up front
>> about it. While I have a philosophical problem with two-tiered pricing
>> because of what it implies about how we use materials, I also understand
>> that some folks need the additional $$ for future productions.
> I'm not quite so understanding. Why unfairly charge us for what might be
> done? It is not so different from what book publishers tried to do to
> libraries early on. First they tried to close them down, and also tried a
> different pricing scheme. But today they don't try to charge more for books
> sold to libraries because someone might scan it and place it on the web.

It's been my understanding that the rationale for two-tiered pricing
structures is not necessarily the use of the item, but the assumed budgets
of the institutions... i.e. that a college/university will be more able
to pay the triple digit price tag than a school media center or public
library. Not that I agree -- we all know how wildly budgets vary across
those borders -- but this is the impression that I've gotten from talking
to vendors, etc.

Meghann R. Matwichuk
Instructional Media Department
Morris Library