Re: [Videolib] Video Furnace Service/Technology

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:30:49 -0800

--=====================_31353015==.ALT

We've recently talked to these guys. The system they're pitching to do it
yourself is very interesting but costy (over 60 grand)

Apparently UCLA, Northwestern, and Dartmouth are doing something with the
system. You might contact them.

Gary

03:35 PM 2/2/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>All,
>

>Do any of you know about this company and their service of digitizing and
>serving streaming video through an intranet? I spoke with a
>representative the other day, and it sounded very promising. However, the
>only legal use I can think of would be for TEACH act purposes (things put
>on reserve or streamed for distance learning), and, in some cases, in
>class (I can't recall if it is legal to move something from analog to
>digital for using in class. It is ok to do this for TEACH act as long as
>it is not piracy protected). He said that Northwestern, Dartmouth and UCLA
>were all implementing. I am just wondering if anyone knows about this
>company or how libraries might be using this kind of service. It seems
>that for much of what we offer (students viewing films for research, but
>not necessarily conforming with TEACH act guidelines) would not allow for
>this kind of digitization. Do others share this reasoning? (I have
>written to Northwestern and Dartmouth separately to ask them what their
>intended use is).
>

>Here is what the company says it does:
>

>Some of the key features of our technology, particularly for library
>usage, include:
> * High quality, MPEG 1,2, or 4 standard encoding, to avoid "digital
> rust" due to proprietary encoding schemes.
> * Secure, encrypted streams with no caching on end-user machines, to
> safely deliver video to end-users and prevent digital thievery of the content.
> * Complete conditional access controls on content viewing and
> creation, so only authorized users are given access to the content.
> * Complete meta-data indexing (currently following the Dublin Core
> standard) for all assets, including a fully searchable indexed database
> of assets.
> * No end-user player installation necessary. Using a Windows, Mac, or
> Linux machine, they simply click a portal page link (for instance, a link
> in a CMS or electronic card catalogue page) to start watching their video
> asset. No need to provide installation instructions or patching
> guidelines or the like; instead they simply watch the video!
>

>Here is an article on the company/technology, though it really doesn't hit
>on the use of digitized video from the libraries collections (which is
>what interests me).
>

>mb
>

>Michael Brewer
>
>Slavic Studies, German Studies & Media Arts Librarian
>
>University of Arizona Library A210
>
>1510 E. University
>
>P.O. Box 210055
>
>Tucson, AZ 85721

[...]