Re: [Videolib] PPRs/licensing/purchasing agreements

Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:14:19 -0800

Hi all,

FWIW, here's my quick two cents on ppr paper trails: it smacks of 1984, and
I don't mean that in an Orwellian sense, I mean that in a chronological
sense. It's what I call a "16mm mentality in a DVD world." When librarians
were evaluating and purchasing their 10-20 16mm titles per year, they could
afford to play the paper trail rights game; however, librarians today are
purchasing as many as 1,000 or more titles per annum on VHS and DVD, which
makes the whole ppr paper trail notion not only quaintly antique but
downright Kafkaesque (try to imagine this scenario applied to book
purchases).

Librarians buying video today are not AV nerds (no disrepect intended, I was
one)--they don't have a clue (and could absolutely care less) about rights
reversions and expired licences (and, frankly, no human--except for Jessica
Rosner) could keep up with the myriad lineages of various films/docs anyway.
Nor--and this is the point--should they. If the rights holders want to
switch distribution horses in the middle of the stream, let *them* keep the
paper trail and contact customers, not vice versa (which is the way almost
all business licenses work--ProQuest doesn't assume that *you* will contact
*them* upon expiration, they contact you).

Okay, maybe that was a nickel's worth :)

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com