RE: [Videolib] PPRs/licensing/purchasing agreements

Chris McNevins (Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu)
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:06:42 -0500

Thanks, Sarah, Lori & Sue--I've placed these postings in a
separate folder and will use them in the discussion.

Keep 'em coming....

Chris McN

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of
Andrews,
Sarah E
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 12:39 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] PPRs/licensing/purchasing agreements

I just put in a proposal to do a poster session at ALA about
what we do
at University of Iowa. It is a system that I developed and
am still
tweaking.

1. We (Acquisitions) save every license agreement for
videos, including
ones that appear on invoices. These are scanned as PDF
files, and
saved. Our filing convention is to save in a folder named
by who the
agreement is with (usually the distributor name), and then
by individual
title.

2. We send a copy of all license agreements with the
physical piece to
be folded up and put in the box if it arrives as a separate
piece of
paper. These often get lost, but staff have used them when
faculty
complain about restrictive use.

3. We (Acquisitions staff) add 540s to the bibliographic
records to
indicate when we have public performance rights. We also
use 540s to
indicate restricted access if necessary. Here are some
examples of the
types of notes we use:
540 |a Restricted access: may only be used by University of
Iowa
faculty, staff, students, or library card-holders. |5 IaU
540 |a Includes public performance rights |d IaU

4. The 540 field is keyword searchable in our catalog, so if
you search
for the phrase "public performance rights" you can find a
list of what
we have available in our collection. Here is a direct link
to our
catalog if you want to see what we do:
http://infohawk.uiowa.edu/F?func=file&file_name=find-b&local
_base=uiowa

5. In the future, I'd like to link the scanned license
agreement to the
bibliographic record, but we're not there yet.

Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries