RE: [Videolib] PPRs/licensing/purchasing agreements

Andrews, Sarah E (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:39:25 -0600

I just put in a proposal to do a poster session at ALA about what we do
at University of Iowa. It is a system that I developed and am still
tweaking.

1. We (Acquisitions) save every license agreement for videos, including
ones that appear on invoices. These are scanned as PDF files, and
saved. Our filing convention is to save in a folder named by who the
agreement is with (usually the distributor name), and then by individual
title.

2. We send a copy of all license agreements with the physical piece to
be folded up and put in the box if it arrives as a separate piece of
paper. These often get lost, but staff have used them when faculty
complain about restrictive use.

3. We (Acquisitions staff) add 540s to the bibliographic records to
indicate when we have public performance rights. We also use 540s to
indicate restricted access if necessary. Here are some examples of the
types of notes we use:
540 |a Restricted access: may only be used by University of Iowa
faculty, staff, students, or library card-holders. |5 IaU
540 |a Includes public performance rights |d IaU

4. The 540 field is keyword searchable in our catalog, so if you search
for the phrase "public performance rights" you can find a list of what
we have available in our collection. Here is a direct link to our
catalog if you want to see what we do:
http://infohawk.uiowa.edu/F?func=file&file_name=find-b&local_base=uiowa

5. In the future, I'd like to link the scanned license agreement to the
bibliographic record, but we're not there yet.

Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries