RE: [Videolib] PPRs/licensing/purchasing agreements

Andrews, Sarah E (
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:39:25 -0600

I just put in a proposal to do a poster session at ALA about what we do
at University of Iowa. It is a system that I developed and am still

1. We (Acquisitions) save every license agreement for videos, including
ones that appear on invoices. These are scanned as PDF files, and
saved. Our filing convention is to save in a folder named by who the
agreement is with (usually the distributor name), and then by individual

2. We send a copy of all license agreements with the physical piece to
be folded up and put in the box if it arrives as a separate piece of
paper. These often get lost, but staff have used them when faculty
complain about restrictive use.

3. We (Acquisitions staff) add 540s to the bibliographic records to
indicate when we have public performance rights. We also use 540s to
indicate restricted access if necessary. Here are some examples of the
types of notes we use:
540 |a Restricted access: may only be used by University of Iowa
faculty, staff, students, or library card-holders. |5 IaU
540 |a Includes public performance rights |d IaU

4. The 540 field is keyword searchable in our catalog, so if you search
for the phrase "public performance rights" you can find a list of what
we have available in our collection. Here is a direct link to our
catalog if you want to see what we do:

5. In the future, I'd like to link the scanned license agreement to the
bibliographic record, but we're not there yet.

Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:19 AM
To: VIDEOLIB (E-mail)
Subject: [Videolib] PPRs/licensing/purchasing agreements


I'd like to survey how other academic libraries keep track
of PPRs/licensing/purchasing agreements for videos, and
whether or not you communicate this info to our borrowing
community and how. We've been kicking around various
scenarios and wonder if any of these would be worth staff

1) a generic note in the bib record indicating that the
particular title has PPRights
2) place a sticker either on the video or packaging
indicating that the title had PPRights
3) have a link in the bib record point to a copy of the
actual license/purchasing agreement which would be housed
somewhere on the library's website for videos that have

Also, I would be interested in learning how any of you keeps
track of the various PPRs, licensing and purchasing
agreements. Our main campus library includes an in house
media library as well as 5 branch campuses who also house
videos in their collections. I've begun to attach such
documents to the invoices, but we only keep our invoices for
3 or so years. I wonder if it would make more sense to house
these agreements (or copies thereof) in the circulating

Any input--on or off line--would be greatly appreciated.


Chris McNevins
University Library Assistant II
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
Collections Services / Acquisitions-Monographs
369 Fairfield Rd. Unit 2005AM
Storrs, CT 06269-2005

phone: 860-486-3842
fax: 860-486-6493

Videolib mailing list

Videolib mailing list