Re: [Videolib] PPR Eyes on the Prize

MileFilms@aol.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:34:17 EST

--part1_65.3dd3bc79.2f2d3f39_boundary

In a message dated 1/29/05 1:49:07 PM, mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org writes:

> If a library owns a set of Eyes on the Prize that was bought with Public
> Performance Rights, have those rights of public performance now expired?
> I have always been under the impression that the rights that are
> purchased usually are for the life of the tape (or DVD).
> Best,
> Myles

Dear Myles,

Okay, I'll take a shot. Simply, you'll have to find the original invoice --
and if there is one, the agreement -- when you purchased the video. (It's also
possible that the original distributor has a copy as well.)

It really depends on the original agreements between the producer and the
distributor and/or the distributor and the institution. There is no set rule on
this and though there are copyright laws and contractual law that can apply,
they rarely are brought up. For example, I always wondered if a distributor can
legally grant a life-of-print lease if they only have the rights for a
specific number of years, or if a library can sell, throw or give away these prints
or videos since they're only leased -- but I would definitely put those
considerations aside for now.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_65.3dd3bc79.2f2d3f39_boundary

If a library owns a s= et of Eyes on the Prize that was bought with Public
Performance Rights, have those rights of public performance now expired?
I have always been under the impression that the rights that are
purchased usually are for the life of the tape (or DVD).
Best,
Myles

Dear Myles,

Okay, I'll take a shot. Simply, you'll have to find the original invoice=20= -- and if there is one, the agreement -- when you purchased the video. (It's= also possible that the original distributor has a copy as well.)

It really depends on the original agreements between the producer and the di= stributor and/or the distributor and the institution. There is no set rule o= n this and though there are copyright laws and contractual law that can appl= y, they rarely are brought up. For example, I always wondered if a distribut= or can legally grant a life-of-print lease if they only have the rights for=20= a specific number of years, or if a library can sell, throw or give away the= se prints or videos since they're only leased -- but I would definitely put=20= those considerations aside for now.