Re(2): [Videolib] Song of the South

Karen Fischer (Karen_Fischer@freenet.richland.oh.us)
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:18:38 -0500

*This message was sent using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) SMTP*
*This message was sent using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) FC Gateway*
Thank you, Dennis, for your comments, as somone who has actually seen the film! I also believe the "racist aspects" of this film have been blown way out of proportion, often by people with an abiding hatred for all things Disney.
Karen Fischer
AV Librarian
Mansfield Richland County Public Library
Mansfield, OH

MileFilms@aol.com,internet writes:
*This message was received using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) FC Gateway*
*This message was received using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) SMTP*
Excuse me, but has anyone in this group actually SEEN Song of the South
recently? I saw it a four years ago at a private screening and I was surprised
about all the furor that surrounds it. Considering that it's actually set in
post-Civil War times with a remarkable and dignified performance by James Baskett
that fully deserved the honorary Oscar award, I think that its actually an
important film to see and to discuss for all its merits and flaws. There are a LOT
more rascist films in the 1930s and 1940s films (and god knows, compare it
today to all the anti-Arabic portrayals) than this one and it's a LONG way from
being Birth of a Nation or Triumph of the Will.

The racial politics in Song of the South would make a fascinating comparison
with Gone with the Wind.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128