RE: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:43:24 -0600

If it is breaking the law, then we do it every Christmas - we put
Christmas cds on the lobby player during December. We also used to put
music on our voicemail system to play when people on the phone were put
on hold, so they knew they were on hold, and not cut off.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
Phone: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
bltata@aurora.lib.il.us
www.aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Barbara
Rhodes, Media Consultant, Northeast Texas
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:17 AM
To: Videolib list
Subject: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

Dear Videofolk,

This question is slightly off-topic but I wondered if anyone has any
experience or knowledge about possible copyright issues in this
particular situation. One of our public libraries sent me this query:

"I was curious if any violations are breached if we play music via cd
player in the library. Are copyright laws broken if music is playing
for the public? "

What would you folks say??

Thanks.

Barbara Rhodes