RE: [Videolib] Eyes on the Prize

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:35:13 -0800

Ok, so if my predecessor was not foresightful enough to know that an item
was going to go out of print for who-knows-how-long (if not forever) to make
a copy, I have no recourse? Am I to assume, then, that I *should* be making
archival/replacement copies of everything we own, just in case? That seems
to be a rather bizarre demand to make of any budget-stressed organization.
Conversely, if I am allowed to make a copy from another institution's copy,
how is this download any different, since presumably this is a digitization
of an analog signal and therefore not an exact replication of an original
"master"?

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jessica
Rosner
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 10:22 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Eyes on the Prize

I don't even want to touch who gets to decide why EYES ON THE PRIZE is more
important than HOLLYWOOD THE PIONEERS or yes SONG OF THE SOUTH
but to the last point. Downloading of a copyrighted work without permission
is illegal PERIOD. According to the group( with the occasional dissenter)
you can make a VHS copy from another LEGAL VHS copy IF you owned a copy and
it is not lost stolen or damaged.