RE: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

Griest, Bryan (BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:50:03 -0800

Most of the bars/restaurants I know (and worked in) pay a nice-sized annual
ASCAP/BMI fee to get clearance to play music over their sound systems. Even
if it's a simple radio broadcast, the rights holders get their dues . . .

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of deg farrelly
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 11:33 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

I agree with Gary's comments about single-user use.

But the original query sounds to me as if it is questioning the legality of
playing CDs thru speakers for the general public.

In that case I would say this is not acceptable use. (Even tho bars and
restaurants do it all the time... So.)

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West Campus