Re: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:32:58 -0500

This is a question I raised when working as a public library administrator. Take a look at the following web page from the Music Librarians Association "Copyright for Music Librarians":
http://www.lib.jmu.edu/org/mla/faq/performing%20rights/Performance%20Permission.asp

The last section of that page seems to address your question:
"Certain Other Nonprofit Performances. Section 110(4) exempts the performance of a nondramatic literary or musical work (excluding broadcasts) "without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage
and without payment of any fee or other compensation for the performance to any of its performers, promoters, or organizers" if there is no direct or indirect admission charge, or if the proceeds after
deducting the reasonable costs of producing the performance, are used exclusively for educational, religious, or charitable purposes and not for private financial gain, except where the copyright owner has
served notice of objection to the performance."

Pat Shufeldt
Westminster Presbyterian Church Library
Greenville, SC
pashuf@charter.net