RE: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:03:31 -0500

Hi Barb, Playing CDs over a PA system in a public building or a private
business is definitely a "no, no" because it is a public performance. ASCAP
and BMI secure licenses for such play and their are services that offer
public performance music. Radio stations, however, can be played over a PA
with no licensing - the radio station actually pays for access to such music
and gets paid by the music studios to play new music. No different than
showing a video/DVD in the library or a business - you need public
performance rights.
Jim Scholtz, Library Director
Yankton Community Library
515 Walnut St.
Yankton, SD 57078
(605) 668-5276
jimscholtz@sdln.net

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Barbara
Rhodes, Media Consultant, Northeast Texas
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 11:17 AM
To: Videolib list
Subject: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

Dear Videofolk,

This question is slightly off-topic but I wondered if anyone has any
experience or knowledge about possible copyright issues in this particular
situation. One of our public libraries sent me this query:

"I was curious if any violations are breached if we play music via cd player
in the library. Are copyright laws broken if music is playing for the
public? "

What would you folks say??

Thanks.

Barbara Rhodes