RE: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:55:36 -0500

PUBLIC performance is reserved to copyright holder BUT there are exceptions.
Individual or even small group listening stations/rooms should be ok...as
long as you don't charge admission. After all, libraries are there to
provide access to the content not simply to archive copies.

I am ignoring the question of playing audio throughout the library because I
just can't imagine that.....

Jed

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Barbara
Rhodes, Media Consultant, Northeast Texas
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 11:17 AM
To: Videolib list
Subject: [Videolib] Question about use of CDs

Dear Videofolk,

This question is slightly off-topic but I wondered if anyone has any
experience or knowledge about possible copyright issues in this particular
situation. One of our public libraries sent me this query:

"I was curious if any violations are breached if we play music via cd player
in the library. Are copyright laws broken if music is playing for the
public? "

What would you folks say??

Thanks.

Barbara Rhodes