Re: [Videolib] Preservation/Security copies (again)

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:45:03 -0500

--=====================_3746265==_.ALT

I wonder if there is some speaking at cross purposes going on
here. Jessica, are you imagining a library which says, in 2005,
"Hey! Didn't we used to have El Norte, and it got pilfered back in
1993? Let's borrow a copy on ILL and dub one!"

Is *that* what people here are talking about doing? I don't think so
really. I think they're talking mostly about things which are currently in
their collection and beginning to show major wear & tear and which are OP
*or* things which have just gone missing, perhaps in the current year or
something.

Susan Albrecht at Wabash College
P.S. If I tell you we already made a copy of our Eyes on the Prize, can I
still buy Cubs tix from you, Jessica?

Deg wrote:
>Provided that reasonable efforts to obtain an unused copy at at reasonable
>price have been unsuccessful... And the institution is a library that
>meets the other requirements of the law (collection available for use,
>yada yada yada)
>
>In a word: YES!

>Jessica:
>As a matter of common sense do you really think this law means that every
>out of print video
>can be dubbed by any institution that ever bought a legal copy of it but
>for no longer has it.

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator
Wabash College Lilly Library