Re: [Videolib] Preservation/Security copies (again)

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:01:51 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3189510111_24995458_MIME_Part

Two things at that is it. I was told by at least one copyright expert that
the section was intended ONLY for music recordings but more to the point if
you believe this section would
entitle a library to make a copy of for example an out of print Disney title
that costs $200 to
get used replacement copy or EYES ON THE PRIZE ( can't imagine what that
would go for)
than you should back up your belief by sending a letter to the rights
holder ( which in these two
cases at least is not difficult) to explain your actions i.e I could not get
replacement copy of
your title which I legally purchased and am thus dubbing it from another
legal copy per what
I believe is the libraries right under copyright law. Provided you do that
and make the owner aware I have no problem but I believe if this were in
fact tested in court ( and let's face it we could probably count on Disney
for that one) the copyright holder would win.

FYI the last part about used copies is a non issue as the right of first
sale applies to
any legal copy. And I do think you got a bargain on Berlin but I have not
been following
it that closely on eBay lately

Jessica

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE