Re: [Videolib] Preservation/Security copies (again)

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:32:30 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3189497550_24239955_MIME_Part

Um I am not going to go to far on this one which I have posted before but
you don't just to
get to dub a copy of any out of print title, anymore than you get to
photocopy an out of print book. If you think Disney allows libraries to dub
a title they take out circulation on a routine
basis because it now costs $200 to buy a used one, think again. Good luck
legally determining
what is a " reasonable " cost. If the going rate on eBay of a LEGAL used
copy of BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ is $1500 ( which I think it is) who is to say
that is not a fair price. That is
the cost of a rare out of print title. Video is a long, long, long way from
being an "obsolete".

Needless to say there is little chance of any library being "caught" dubbing
an item but as
a distributor I have like to believe they would not.

Jessica
( hey I think it has been MONTHS since I had a rant . I am out of practice)

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503