RE: [Videolib] Film Censorship

Blane Halliday (bhalliday@collier-lib.org)
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:39:09 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01C4FE34.A2C4D6A0

Group...

A very chilling story, indeed. We are a verrrrry conservative/RED area, yet
I still manage to show a few "iffy" films with little incident. This past
summer, we showed 'Pulp Fiction' and this past fall we screened Shohei
Imamura's 'The Eel', among many other titles. There was some concern from a
few in the library on the showing of either of these titles, due mostly to
the violence/language in each. In all promotional materials we printed and
in my introduction to each film, I made it crystal clear the nature of both
titles...if an individual was not comfortable with the subject matter, they
might be better off to come to a different film at another time. Although a
few walked out of each, the overall audience response was overwhelmingly
positive to both, with attendance figures comparable to what I would get for
most of out films.

Ironically, I had a complaint on Hitchcock's 'Psycho', which we screened for
Halloween. But the complaint was not on the actual film...it was for the
promotional poster we printed, which was a scan of the DVD cover depicting
Janet Leigh screaming in the infamous shower scene.

A few DVD titles I have had challenged in the past year: 'Armistead
Maupin's Further Tales Of The City', Gus Van Sant's 'Elephant', 'In The
Cut', 'The Safety Of Objects', and 'Before Night Falls'. In all of these
circumstances, the viewer was concerned about 'sex' scenes. They don't seem
to care too much about extreme violence...hmmmm.

It was good seeing you all in Boston!

Blane

Blane Halliday
AV Acquisitions Librarian