RE: [Videolib] Making a photo print from a film frame

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US)
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:45:01 -0600

Actually, there is less than a quarter of the data on a 16mm film frame;
it's less than half as wide and half as tall as a 35mm frame. But it is
still possible to get excellent results with on a 3x5 print... and that's
about as big as you'd want to go. I just did it myself for a portfolio (it
was film I shot myself). What you need is a high-resolution transparency
scanner. I while back, I bought an Epson 1240U scanner specifically because
it did high-rez transparency scanning and I anticipated using it for 16mm.
You need to use a medium format transparency holder with another laid flat
on top of it to keep the film flat in the scanner. Scan at 9600 dpi. 7200
would be acceptable as well.

If the archivist doesn't have access to a high-rez scanner, it's possible
that a local photo lab would do it. But more likely you'll get a "Whuh?"

Finally, if you have the time, there's a guy I know in Texas who builds
special transfer equipment that would do the job very well. His equipment
is designed to project individual still frames for the purpose of video
transfer, but it just as easily does stills. You should be able to get a
high-quality 35mm shot of each frame you desire. He might do this as a
service for you, and he's a great guy, very reasonable prices. E-mail him
with the scenario, and tell him I sent you:

http://www.moviestuff.tv/transfers.html

Thanks,
Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library