RE: [Videolib] Making a photo print from a film frame

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:47:12 -0500

It is very hard to get good resolution from a 16mm positive. They have less
than half the data of a typical 35mm still. If they get it into digital
system using a slide scanner...they can do a lot with programs like
photo-shop though.

Don't forget to remind them that there are copyright issues. (I am NOT
saying don't do this in the abstract but every chance to 'educate' people
should be taken.)

Jed

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Bergman,
Barbara J
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 9:25 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Making a photo print from a film frame

I had a question from the historical society archivist that I thought
one of you might know the answer to... Preservation isn't my area.

She has films of local events in the '30s and '40s.
She'd like to print some of the frames as photographs. Just regular
size photos, not the supersized ones you often see in museum displays.

She said the film is 16mm, but I didn't see it to confirm. She said they
tried using a scanner, but couldn't get a good enough resolution.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Barb