Re: [Videolib] Film Censorship

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:43:01 -0800

Hi Tova,

FWIW, I included "Lenny" in my book "Video Movies: A Core Collection for
Libraries" (ABC-CLIO, 1990), a list of 500 recommended theatrical videos for
library collections. Besides being a huge critical favorite, "Lenny"
received Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Director, Actor (Hoffman),
Actress (Perrine, who won at Cannes), and Screenplay. Very few films are
nominated in all five major categories. I'm not sure what the tackful way of
saying that your patron is very much in the minority on "Lenny," but he or
she clearly is, and the film has more than enough critical kudos to justify
retaining in your collection (I'm not sure what the patron means by
"pornographic betrayal"--Lenny Bruce was certainly no shrinking violet).
FYI, when I was a video librarian in the 1980s, I had a patron complaint on
an old LCA (Learning Corporation of America) documentary called "Lions of
Capitalism" on the grounds that the film wasn't "reverential enough" towards
Carnegie, et al. What that taught me was that *any* film can be challenged
for a veritable rainbow of reasons (real and imagined :).

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com