Re: [Videolib] Film Censorship

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:38:55 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3188911135_25345787_MIME_Part

I don't know the history of this library's programming or much about the
film in question but
any accurate film based on sections of the Bible would contain all of the
objectionable material
below. In any event I don't think serious programming can be limited by the
idea that
the film is an open event. A library that wants to do a SERIOUS film program
is more than likely going to run into films with things that some people
MIGHT object to.
My favorite story re a Kino film involved the Hirschorn Gallery several
years ago screening
a film of ours called ZERO KELVIN. It is a very dark & disturbing film set
in the Arctic circle in
the 1920s . The film contains VERY upsetting animal violence which REALLY
disturbed someone like me who could care less if 100 guys get chopped up in
a movie BUT LEAVE THE DOGS & CATS ALONE. Anyway the programmer noticed TWO
families with young children in the audience
and went over to encourage them to leave as the animal violence was likely
to traumatize
the kids. Both families brushed her off. The film began with a scene in
Copenhagen in which
a man and a woman are in an apt. The woman takes off her shirt and the go on
the bed
( end of scene) BOTH FAMILIES got right up and walked out. The programmer &
projectionist
laughed that they forgot about the tits.

I would THINK that a warning that a film contains adult material ( with
details where appropriate) should suffice to warn viewers. People don't have
to attend programming anymore than they
have to take out a particular book or video.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

I would call it discretion, more so then censorship...i.e. "...contains
female nudity, sex scenes, adultery, adult language and situations, incest
overtones and unwanted pregnancy..." ...given the fact that the viewing was
open to the general public. Rights DO carry responsibility.

...but then again, maybe that's something "a guy with RED blood but stuck in
a BLUE state" WOULD say, eh Jessica...*winks at Jessica with a wicked evil
grin*.

Mark

--MS_Mac_OE_3188911135_25345787_MIME_Part

Re: [Videolib] Film Censorship I don't know the history of this library's programming or much about the fi= lm in question but