RE: [Videolib] Film Censorship

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:43:06 -0500

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Cecilia Hurt
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 1:51 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Film Censorship
=09
Hello, everyone!
=20
Please see below a current film censorship story. At this time,
I do not know of any actions being taken to reinstate the film in the
collection.
=20
On a related note, for this year's Banned Books Week, the Video
Round Table will be creating an attractive banned/challenged/censored
film handout. It will be made available on the VRT web site. We are in
the information gathering stage of development. Does anyone have
suggestions for titles that should included?=20
=20
Thank you,
~Cecilia
=20
Official cancels viewing of film

By Jean Weaver

Special to the Star-Telegram

ARLINGTON - Interim City Manager Fred Greene canceled the
showing of a movie with sexual overtones Thursday that the Arlington
Public Library had planned to show at its independent film festival this
month.

Falling Angels, based on a novel by a Canadian writer, contains
female nudity, sex scenes, adultery, adult language and situations,
incest overtones and unwanted pregnancy set in the 1960s.

The library had been planning to launch an independent film
festival at the George W. Hawkes Central Library, 101 E. Abram St., with
three movies scheduled from Jan. 29 through March. The other two films,
Buddy and Witnesses, are being reviewed.

"The film has been pulled," Arlington Mayor Pro Tem Ron Wright
said. "The librarians were given strict content guidelines by Greene,
which are based upon the information that if a film cannot be shown to
someone under 17, then it would not be appropriate for the city
libraries of Arlington."

The Canadian film was released in U.S. theaters Oct. 31. It was
not rated by the Motion Picture Association of America. However, a
recommendation on the back cover of the video says it should not to be
shown to people under 17.

Adults-only films have never been shown at the Arlington
libraries, said Starr Krottinger, public services administrator for the
Arlington Public Library System. Reference librarian Linda Seitz said
that she has previewed half of Falling Angels and is aware of the
content.

The films were aimed at college-age people, she said.

Library patron Carlos Medina, 23, of Arlington said the library
wasn't the place for the film. "There are plenty of other places to see
that kind of stuff," Medina said. "They don't have to show it at the
library."

The film is no longer available for checkout.

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4FD9E.4FEB5AB4

Message

Hi=20 Cecilia,

Good=20 to see you in Boston!

There=20 are many great websites that lists banned movies.  The website = listed=20 here is by no means comprehensive, but does include a few = international=20 films.  http://www.greencine.com/list?action=3DviewList&listID=3D3515

One of=20 the films that I thought was just wonderful is I AM CURIOUS=20 (YELLOW).

I'm=20 trying to "catch-up" from being out-of-the-office, but I'll keep=20 looking.

Monique