Re: [Videolib] Crimean War video

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:35:28 +0100

Dear Jim,

last year we have bought a DVD on this subject in the UK:

Balaclava 1854 - The charge of the light brigade
http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000093432
published in 2004 on DVD, originally made in 1993.
Region code 0, probably PAL?
The story of the Battle of Balaclava includes three of the most famous
acts of military history. The heroic courage of the Thin Red Line, the
dashing bravery of the Heavy Brigade and the terrible disaster which
befell the Light Brigade. This is the story of that fateful day. Using
dramatised 'eye-witness' accounts, battle reconstructions and 3D
computer maps this programme breaks down the acts of the celebrated
battle at Balaclava

Another title about this subject, not only about the battle itself but
the whole war, is available from Direct Cinema
Crimean War, The: A Clash of Empires
Filmmaker: Thomas Vaughan
http://www.directcinema.com/dcl/index.php?alpha=C
A scrupulously researched, vibrant chronicle of this devastating
conflict, detailing the long-held antagonisms that presaged wars to
follow. With a profound eloquence and less than sanguine tone, the
narration spoken by Ted Hallock relates the details of the war's
episodes while capturing the spirit of these staggering events. The
evocative music accompanies a rich display of more than 1,600
illustrations, paintings and etchings from the period, bringing to life
this long-ago skirmish.

Running time: 180min(2 tapes), Year released: 1996

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html