Re: [Videolib] Films about the 1991-1995 war in former Yugoslavia

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:29:38 -0500

I recommend BEFORE THE RAIN, a powerful feature film by Macedonian director
Milcho Manchevski. It was a 1994 Academy Award nominee for Best Foreign Film;
is currently available only on VHS. A Hungarian-American friend who has
travelled in Macedonia commented that most Macedonians regard this particular
film as a "cautionary tale" rather than a portrayal of their experience. As the
director describes it, "I just took three very simple stories, plots which have
been around for hundreds of years - impossible love, unresolvable dilemma, and
going home." The film includes both intense violence and incredible beauty;
both adherence to cultural codes and the refusal of key characters to live their
lives according to a prevailing code of violence and it's result of constant
fear.

Much has been written about this film. A couple of years ago I read numerous
essays about it--an entire issue of an a British journal entitled RETHINKING
HISTORY. For links and other info., see the director's website:
http://www.manchevski.com.mk/ (heading: "Press, Links, etc.)

Pat Shufeldt
Westminster Presbyterian Church Library
Greenville, SC