Re: [Videolib] RE: D-Skins

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:15:06 +0100

Dear Scott,

thank for your reference to this new product. We are also interested in
any experience with d_skin. Here is some information from the web:
http://www.pcgameworld.com/article.php/id/172/
http://www.equationlab.com/mtp/quantumblog/archives/2004/08/d_skin.html

Here is a recommendation from a library director:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/msg03433.html

More information:
http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com/archives/2004/12/deans_suggestio.html

Former products as the CD Fender/DVD Fender invented by the British
designer Trevor Burroughs did not work with DVD because they were too
thick and interfered to the laser beam. And as a further drawback they
stick to the disc by mere adhesion. With d_skin made of a micro-resin
only 0.005 thick there might be hope for protection of heavily used DVD
in libraries. D-Skin is firmly attached to the disc by an outer ring
with 8 tabs. I've seen offers of 20 d_skin-labels for $ 17 which results
in $ 0.85 per disc (which makes Euro 0.62 - very promising!)

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html