Re: [Videolib] new video search--or is it too late?

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:36:11 +0100

Dear Bryan,

this TV series title produced by DEFA (East German film production
company) probably is not available on video. Even the DEFA film library
at the University of Massachusetts Amherst doesn't offer it
http://www.umass.edu/defa/ . But you might ask them if there is a chance
to get it in the US anywhere.

The only source I know are the national film archives here in
Germany: All GDR films made for the cinema went to the
"Bundesarchiv/Filmarchiv"
http://www.bundesarchiv.de/aufgaben_organisation/dienstorte/berlin_filmarchiv/index.html/
; all TV films from the GDR to the "Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv"
http://www.dra.de/babelsberg.htm . This title has been produced by DEFA
for TV (1966) but was shown in cinemas, too (1967). I did some telephone
work here in Berlin with the following result: It's available from the
"Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv" as a (paid !) VHS copy under certain
restricted conditions. You have to apply for a copy only by mail with an
official letter from your institution stressing a scholarly use. The
adress is as follows:

Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv Babelsberg
Marlene-Dietrich-Allee 20
14482 Potsdam-Babelsberg