Re: [Videolib] Wireless networks in libraries]]

Steve Brantley (jbrant1@uic.edu)
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:14:40 -0600

The Wireless Network at UIC (not just the library but Campus wide) uses
802.11b and 801.1x for authentication. This ensures only UI affiliated
users are able to connect. UIC has never seen the need to tier
bandwidth access but it is possible to do it with solutions like Blue
Socket

http://www.bluesocket.com/

It is almost turn key to get this (deploying) done and I can get them
in touch with Omnitech who is a reseller for Bluesocket.

The way we make sure that the integrity of the network (monitor/filter
etc.,) is the same way we monitor our non-wireless network. ACCC has
tripwires that will trigger a filter to an IP/MAC/netid

This means if jbrant1 is on the wireless network with the laptop with
MAC (Media Access Control -not the Platform) address 00:30:65:NN:NN:NN
which was assigned IP 192.168.0.233, and happens to download a virus...
all the above will be filtered. This means when your laptop with the
MAC address above tries to go online it will be filtered. In addition
your netid will have diminished service until you can assure ACCC that
you have fixed the problem.

It's my opinion -if they haven't deployed- that they want something as
simple as Blue Socket... This is because if the rest of the campus
elects to go wireless rather than have to re-deploy like we did, they
will simply integrate into the Campus wide solution.

Francis