RE: [Videolib] Wireless networks in libraries

Jonathan Degan (jdegan@uottawa.ca)
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:22:40 -0500

Excellent comments regarding laptop loans service Barb, thank you.

We are an academic library as well, and the IT services controls the
Wireless (802.11b service) and is restricted to current students and
staff. Very popular service as more and more students are buying laptop
computers instead of desktop computers. We see that desks that are close
to AC plugs very popular!

As for public libraries, I'd be wary of the open access, as anyone could
pretty much do anything. I would look at higher level routers/access
points which can control connections/speeds/access/ports etc...

Jonathan