RE: [Videolib] Wireless networks in libraries

Carol Dunn (dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:23:37 -0500

James,
Our Wireless Network just went online last week. To comply with
CIPA, our router has the Parental Control on it. Our policy
is firm, we do not touch personal notebook PCs. We do not loan
out any equipment.
We bought the Belkin Wireless Router 2.46HZ wireless, 802.11g
54Mbps, with 6 months free Parental Control. After that we must
pay a monthly charge for the filter. We turn it off each night
at closing, it's so strong there is a signal in our parking lot.

Regards,
Carol Dunn
AV Manager, NT Administrator and Webmaster
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
dunn@findlaylibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: James Scholtz [mailto:jimscholtz@sdln.net]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 10:47 AM
To: Sdln-L; Videolib
Subject: [Videolib] Wireless networks in libraries

Hi Gang, I just thought I'd put out a feeler to some libaries asking if you
have a wireless network in your library for patron access and how you handle
it. For example, I've got some specific questions:

Do you have a two-tiered network - one for admin/staff; one for in-house
patron use (filtered) and then another for wireless (unfiltered or
filtered)?

Do you have all staff/some staff trained in assisting patrons to setup their
wireless PCs for the network? Do you loan out equipment (laptops) to
patrons in-house; if so, how many units (fee/free.)

If unfiltered access and patrons are using their own PCs - how do you deal
with patron's accessing objectionable (don't read pornographic, necessarily
here) sites using their own equipment, albiet in a public building? Anyone
willing to share their policy with me?

Any recommendations regarding equipment? Working in a concrete/steel
building with lots of walls/floors - probably 802.11g is best? Where do you
position your sending unit(s) for optimal reception?

How do you handle troubleshooting? Viruses/spyware, downloaded computer
programs, etc. - any differently from your wired network - esp. because
these are patron's PCs?

Any other relevent information would be appreciated?

Thanks. Jim Scholtz, Library Director
Yankton Community Library
515 Walnut St.
Yankton, SD 57078