RE: [Videolib] 3M DCD-2 Overlay

Carol Dunn (dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:23:27 -0500

We use the 3m overlays and write our library name on each DVD under the
overlay for ID.
This is my take on the playback problem:
When the DVD spins for 2 hours it heats up, and it heats up the
overlay. After about an hour, the playback becomes jumbled--due
to high temperatures on the plastic overlay. I have noticed the
more expensive the DVD player, the better play you get.
On the other hand, if we had no overlay we would have no inventory.
They would walk out the door.......! It's problematic, I'll give
you that.

Regards,
Carol Dunn
AV Manager, NT Administrator and Webmaster
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840

-----Original Message-----
From: Frame, Steve [mailto:SFrame@TORRNET.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 8:59 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: [Videolib] 3M DCD-2 Overlay

The Torrance Public Library also uses Video Store Shopper overlays on all
CDs and DVDs in the Audiovisual collection at our main library. We used 3M
product in the past. We made the switch from 3M to the Video Store Shopper
product due to 3M's higher prices.

Over the years we have had very few complaints regarding playback problems
with either company's overlay. In our experience, the person applying the
overlay must to be very careful to avoid bubbles which may very well upset
the disc's balance, thus its playback.

I'm not sure how effective these overlays are in terms of tripping our
security gates. However, the overlays seem to work fairly well as a visual
deterrent to potential theft.

Steve Frame
Torrance Public Library