RE: [Videolib] 3M DCD-2 Overlay

Jaeschke, Myles (mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org)
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:41:41 -0600

Pam,

We had this problem here and I personally spoke to several people at 3M
regarding the same situation you are speaking of. Avoid placing these
overlays on your DVDs at all costs. It's not worth the headache. We
quit using them on our DVDs and never looked back. I think I wrote
about this on videolib a while back. I'll check the archives and see if
I can find my posts.

Best,
Myles

Tulsa City-County Library
Media Center

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Pam Sailor
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 3:03 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] 3M DCD-2 Overlay

Does anyone have any experience with the 3M security overlays for
DVDs? After using them for a new opening collection, we contacted 3M
about
a high rate of discs that would not play. They acknowledged a problem
with
application that can be avoided by using their application kit. The
discs
that would not play, or kept freezing, were slightly warped when the
overlays were applied. So, we received instructions on removing the
overlays and re-applying using these kits. The kit consists of a rubber

mat that guides the user in keeping the disc flat to prevent this
warping. What a nightmare! We are currently trying to find out which
of
our hundreds of DVDs are affected in this way, and whether it is cost
effective to try to fix them. Anyone else experience this?