RE: [Videolib] 3M DCD-2 Overlay

Benjamin Sprague (Sprague@riponlibrary.org)
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:31:38 -0600

Hi,

We had originally tried using the DVDfender product (which I assume
would be fairly similar to this 3M product) on our new DVD collection a
couple of years ago. Also a nightmare! Most of the discs either would
not play at all, or the protective labels would fall off, and it was
impossible to apply them corectly - Disney DVD titles seemed to be the
most problematic, for some reason...

Benjamin D. Sprague
----------------------
Circulation Supervisor /
Technology Services
Ripon Public Library
website: http://www.riponlibrary.org
email: sprague@riponlibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Pam Sailor
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 3:03 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] 3M DCD-2 Overlay

Does anyone have any experience with the 3M security overlays for
DVDs? After using them for a new opening collection, we contacted 3M
about
a high rate of discs that would not play. They acknowledged a problem
with
application that can be avoided by using their application kit. The
discs
that would not play, or kept freezing, were slightly warped when the
overlays were applied. So, we received instructions on removing the
overlays and re-applying using these kits. The kit consists of a rubber

mat that guides the user in keeping the disc flat to prevent this
warping. What a nightmare! We are currently trying to find out which
of
our hundreds of DVDs are affected in this way, and whether it is cost
effective to try to fix them. Anyone else experience this?