Re: [Videolib] Round one on Copyright case

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:39:49 -0500

I am afraid it is not that unusual for a case like this to be tossed without
a hearing because the judge believed the premise of the case was in direct
contradiction of the recent supreme court ruling upholding the last
copyright extension ( as well as other cases). She read the papers of course
but since the believed ON ITS FACE the argument had no merit she tossed it.
Problem is I guess the definition of an "orphan" work. If these works were
legal orphans they would in fact have NO copyright and it would not be an
issue but in fact they have copyrights that the owners basically don't care
or even know about it but it is not the same thing.

FYI it was not a proposed law but a rather unique interpretation or in my
view argument against the current law

I am not saying this is GOOD or even right but just the law and it is simply
not likely to change. In order to protect Mickey Mouse et al the big guys
are going cast a wide net and protect everything they can from going PD.

I guess I posted it because I got so tired of earlier posts suggesting that
this case would change things. Alas academics and librarians are not the
constituents of the powers that be , now more than ever.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503