RE: [Videolib] DVD percent of checkouts at Academic libraries

Andrews, Sarah E (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:41:16 -0600

Hi-
I work in acquisitions (away from the public), and we don't actually
tally statistics by media format at our library. We have 12800 videos
and 5045 dvds in our collection as of last week. We started purchasing
DVDs as our primary format over four years ago, but still purchase VHS
if requested or if that is the only format available. A rough estimate
is that 65-70 percent of our circulations are DVDs. We circulate about
1400 films per week including items reserved for classroom screenings,
faculty/staff/student checkout, ILL, and in-room use.

Sarah Andrews
Acquisitions
University of Iowa Libraries

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John Streepy
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 11:35 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] DVD percent of checkouts at Academic libraries

Hi all,

just a question. Here at CWU we have a VHS collection of about 5000
titles, and a DVD collection of about 360 titles. So far this school
year our dvds have accounted for 35 to 40% of all checkouts. (up from an
average of 25% last year) Do others with small dvd collections
(compared to their VHS collections) have this sort of of percentage
breakdown? What is the checkout percentage (roughly) between DVD and
VHS at your school?. I am just trying to see if what we are going
through here is similar to other academic libraries, as it is a good
thing to gauge against others. Just send to me, if others want to know
I'll post to the list. Thanks.

jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III