RE: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc class

Christopher Lewis (clewis@american.edu)
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:24:11 -0500

For me, mock docs began and ended with This is Spinal Tap. One I have been
curious about but haven't seen is The Civil War: The Lost Episode (1991).
Directed by Patrio M. Verrone. It won an AIVF award but I don't think it
ever found a distributor.

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
American University Library
202.885.3257
AIM: congolene

If you have no money, be polite.
- Danish proverb

Gary Handman
<ghandman@library
.berkeley.edu> To
Sent by: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
videolib-bounces@ cc
library.berkeley.
edu Subject
RE: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc
class
11/10/2004 03:57
PM

Please respond to
videolib@library.
berkeley.edu

Thanks Marc...I've ordered a copy of Forgotten Silver for the Media
Center...haven't seen it yet.

Still trying to figure out what to use in this slot. I love the film I
tentatively have planned for mock/doc: Mao: The Real Man (First
Run/Icarus) which is a hilarious send-up of historical documentary
evidence, documentary codes and conventions (and of academic pretension, to

boot). I was also considering the French film "Man Bites Dog" in which
doc filmmakers get a little too involved in filming the life of a serial
killer (thereby skewering (literally) verite conventions of
non-intervention).

Thanks!

Gary

At 01:27 PM 11/10/2004 -0600, you wrote:

>Since you are ending with Mock Docs, perhaps Peter Jackson's "Forgotten
>Silver" would be appropriate? The students would certainly be in a
position
>to appreciate all the film history jokes...
>

>Thanks,
>Marc Syp
>Supervisor, Film Library
>St. Louis Public Library