RE: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc class

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@slpl.lib.mo.us)
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:28:22 -0600

P.S. One of my favorite scenes in Man Bites Dog is when the film's "crew"
runs into an obnoxious video crew and offs them in the stairwell. It
perhaps had more power back then, before HD 24p digital cinematography had
been invented, but still -- it is a deeply satisfying expression of film
snobbery. :-)

Thanks,
Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library
St. Louis Public Library
314.206.6704

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 2:58 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc class

Thanks Marc...I've ordered a copy of Forgotten Silver for the Media
Center...haven't seen it yet.

Still trying to figure out what to use in this slot. I love the film I
tentatively have planned for mock/doc: Mao: The Real Man (First
Run/Icarus) which is a hilarious send-up of historical documentary
evidence, documentary codes and conventions (and of academic pretension, to
boot). I was also considering the French film "Man Bites Dog" in which
doc filmmakers get a little too involved in filming the life of a serial
killer (thereby skewering (literally) verite conventions of
non-intervention).

Thanks!

Gary

At 01:27 PM 11/10/2004 -0600, you wrote:

>Since you are ending with Mock Docs, perhaps Peter Jackson's "Forgotten
>Silver" would be appropriate? The students would certainly be in a
position
>to appreciate all the film history jokes...
>

>Thanks,
>Marc Syp
>Supervisor, Film Library
>St. Louis Public Library