RE: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc class

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US)
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:24:36 -0600

Yep, Man Bite Dog is a good one -- brutal but funny. Haven't seen Mao, I'll
check it out.

Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library
St. Louis Public Library

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 2:58 PM
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc class

Thanks Marc...I've ordered a copy of Forgotten Silver for the Media
Center...haven't seen it yet.

Still trying to figure out what to use in this slot. I love the film I
tentatively have planned for mock/doc: Mao: The Real Man (First
Run/Icarus) which is a hilarious send-up of historical documentary
evidence, documentary codes and conventions (and of academic pretension, to
boot). I was also considering the French film "Man Bites Dog" in which
doc filmmakers get a little too involved in filming the life of a serial
killer (thereby skewering (literally) verite conventions of

At 01:27 PM 11/10/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Since you are ending with Mock Docs, perhaps Peter Jackson's "Forgotten
>Silver" would be appropriate? The students would certainly be in a
>to appreciate all the film history jokes...
>Marc Syp
>Supervisor, Film Library
>St. Louis Public Library

UC Berkeley