Re: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc class

Mark Richie (n2books@frontiernet.net)
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:13:03 -0600

--------------020100050804080502070500

Gary: You are very generous to share your work and prep for this class
with the rest of us. Your choices in the areas I'm familiar with are
excellent.

Three suggestions:
For First-person Narratives, Family Narratives, et al
consider either "Camera of My Family" or "To Know Where They Are." Both
award winning personal docs related to the filmmakers effort to search
for family victims of the Holocaust. To Know Where They Are is good
just for technique and writing.

In Mock ducs - my favorite is "In Search of the Edge." Done in the
style of a BBC documentary, very authoritative, complete with archival
footage, interviews, photos et al. Chronicles the life and disappearance
of a woman explorer in the 1930's who set out in Antarctica to find the
edge of the earth and return - thus proving that the Flat Earth Society
is right. After about 10 minutes it feels almost believable . . .

Good luck and have fun with your class!

Mark