Re: [Videolib] Gary's Intro to Doc class

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:13:08 -0800

--=====================_16155250==.ALT

Wow! Jack Ellis is cool (I've leaned on his books heavily). There are=20
some purty arcane things in this batch (altho I AM tempted to show the=20
Franju...very very strange stuff). Les Raquetteurs is great and Brault is=
=20
a real hero of mine (I think someone here should do a whole NFB class!)

Thanks!

Gary

At 02:12 PM 11/10/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Here are the doc's used from when I took a similar course in Film Studies=
=20
>years ago. One of my favorite classes. Required text was Jack Ellis, The=
=20
>Documentary Idea.
>
>On the Bowery (Rogosin)
>H=F4tel des Invalides (Franju)
>Hight Steel (Owen)
>Golden Gloves (Groulx)
>Les Raquetteurs (Brault/Groulx)
>Anybody's Son Will Do (Cowan)
>Memorandum (Brittain)
>Fields of Sacrifice (Brittain)
>Three Songs of Lenin (Vertov)
>Power and the Land (Ivens)
>Plow that Broke the Plains (Lorenz)
>The River (Lorenz)
>The Anderson Platoon (Schoendorffer)
>Les Boucherons de Manouane (Lamothe)
>Jour Apr=E8s Jour (Perron)
>The Louisiana Story (Flaherty)
>Triumph of the Will (Riefenstahl)
>David Holzman's Diary (McBride)
>Calcutta (Malle)
>Salesman (Maysles)
>Sang des Betes (Franju)
>The Falls (McMahon)
>Tu m'as cri=E9 Let me go (Poirer)
>

>At 11:55 AM 11/10/2004, you wrote:
>>Hi all...
>>
>>In an effort to get our minds off of fee-for-service issues....I'm=20
>>honored to have been asked to teach the intro to documentary class in the=
=20
>>film studies dept here at UCB next semester. Really excited about it (65=
=20
>>students! yow!) Thought it might be fun to share the syllabus with you=20
>>(still a work in progress). I'd be very interested in hearing your=20
>>comments and/or suggestions. I need all the counsel and advice I can get.
>>
>>Cheers!
>>
>>Gary
>>
>>Gary Handman
>>Director
>>Media Resources Center
>>Moffitt Library
>>UC Berkeley
>>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>
>>****
>>
>>"Movies are poems, a holy bible, the great mother of us."
>> --Ted Berrigan
>
>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
>****
>
>"Movies are poems, a holy bible, the great mother of us."
> --Ted Berrigan=20

Wow!  Jack Ellis is cool (I've leaned on his books heavily).  There are some purty arcane things in this batch (altho I AM tempted to show the Franju...very very strange stuff).  Les Raquetteurs is great and Brault is a real hero of mine (I think someone here should do a whole NFB class!)

Thanks!

Gary