RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:28:50 -0800

--=====================_21347062==.ALT

Huh...? if you weren't renting them out you wouldn't be collecting them at
all? You can't be serious. As a crusty and hardline academic, I hesitate
to shoot my mouth off on this topic (for once...), but I must. These are
arguments and controversies that have been going on in libraries of all
stripe for THIRTY YEARS now! Libraries that don't actively (and
intelligently) collect videos and freely circulate them are simply
neglecting the kinds of cognitive and cultural revolutions that have been
shaking outside of their doors for the last three or four decades. Video
(DVD and other electronic media) ain't some anomaly...they're
the prevailing global cultural currency. If we (library's) ignore this
stuff, we run real risks of going outta business altogether.

Now back to the ivory tower (and home to a glass of Alexander Valley syrah)

At 01:00 PM 11/9/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>The business model is already in place for media rentals; people really
>don't seem to mind paying for this kind of access. As I said earlier, if we
>weren't renting them out, we wouldn't be collecting them at all. Is that
>better?

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan