RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Heidi Krueger (hkrueger@dppl.org)
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:29:46 -0600

As a librarian at a neighboring library to Gena's that does not charge, I can attest that people are more than willing to travel to another library to check out for free. We see lots of Park Ridge patrons that come here specifically to check out DVDs and videos. In fact, we may be limiting reserves on new DVDs to our residents only in the near future as this fact has not escaped our residents.

Gena, I'd be interested in your survey, and also in your AV circ numbers. This year we've been circulating more AV materials than print, and in a recent month, more DVDs than the entire adult fiction collection.

Thanks,

Heidi K

Heidi Krueger
Librarian II
Des Plaines Public Library
www.dppl.org
hkrueger@dppl.org
Phone: 847-376-2810

-----Original Message-----
From: Gena Zelenka [mailto:gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 3:33 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Synchronicity hits! I've just completed a survey of 45 North Suburban Illinois public libraries on just this subject. My findings: 15 libraries (including mine) charge for checking out feature film dvds and videos, usually $1 per title. Non-fiction in both formats is free. I got around charging for TV movies and series by placing them in non-fiction.

This policy has been in place for at least a decade and fighting tooth and nail against it is kind of like Don Quixote going against the windmill (read City Hall) as our finances are tied up with the City of Park Ridge. It's the only revenue we contribute. I could say more but have to run to a meeting to report my findings.

BTW, public libraries around here are starting to charge for ILL, too.

Gena Z.