RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Linda Cannon (LCannon@joplinpubliclibrary.org)
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:37:12 -0600

Oh, I hate to get into this one, but here's my .02 on the subject. We
don't charge for checking anything out, and have long since discontinued
having higher fines for videos, *but* I must admit I do see some
difference in the format issue (not that I'm advocating treating them
differently). The issue, as I see it, is availability. Yes, it's
certainly a public good to be able to get your video material at the
library, free no less, *but* we are not the sole source on video
material you don't have to buy to use. We *are* generally the only place
you can get books, periodicals, etc. without having to buy them. That
said, I would not advocate charging for video materials or having higher
fines, *but* (except that your public would probably march on the
library with burning torches), a case could be made for freezing the
collection in times of fiscal calamity. While not free, folks can still
get those materials at Blockbuster, etc., for rental fee vs. being
unable to obtain books, CDs, periodicals, etc. except by purchasing them
outright.

All done now.

Linda Cannon, Collection Development Librarian
Joplin Public Library
300 S. Main St.
Joplin, MO 64801-2384

417-623-7953 (fax 417-624-5217)