RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Gena Zelenka (gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us)
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:32:54 -0600

Synchronicity hits! I've just completed a survey of 45 North Suburban Illinois public libraries on just this subject. My findings: 15 libraries (including mine) charge for checking out feature film dvds and videos, usually $1 per title. Non-fiction in both formats is free. I got around charging for TV movies and series by placing them in non-fiction.

This policy has been in place for at least a decade and fighting tooth and nail against it is kind of like Don Quixote going against the windmill (read City Hall) as our finances are tied up with the City of Park Ridge. It's the only revenue we contribute. I could say more but have to run to a meeting to report my findings.

BTW, public libraries around here are starting to charge for ILL, too.

Gena Z.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah Beasley [mailto:beasleys@carnegielibrary.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 10:52 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Hi All,

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

We are beginning a discussion about the possibility of charging a small borrowing fee for feature films. I'm interested in hearing from other public libraries that charge for videos. How much do you charge? Do you charge for everything in the collection? If not, what do you charge for and how do you define what falls into that category? If you have a written statement/policy that you are willing to share, I'd love to see a copy.

Thanks!

Sarah Beasley
Manager, Film and Audio Department
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412.622.1918
beasleys@carnegielibrary.org

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are solely those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or approved by the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.