RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

LeeAnne Krause (LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu)
Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:08:09 -0500

All I'll say to that is to echo Gary. You don't charge for books, do
you? How come you have a budget for purchasing books if they don't
generate revenue? That sounds like a policy problem, not a revenue
problem.
LLK

LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
Educational Films Collection
University of South Carolina
803-777-0322

>>> BGriest@ci.glendale.ca.us 11/9/2004 2:22:23 PM >>>
2 things: 1) Tax revenues are plummeting; you may be paying for
something,
but it may not be the cost of the materials. You may be paying for the
building, or the salaries, etc. This is an obvious statement, but I've
worked in a couple of libraries that had $0 for materials in some
years--$0!--even though taxes were still being collected. 2) If we
didn't
charge for video rentals (which are admittedly the only materials we
could
"get away with" charging for), we wouldn't have had money to buy
anything at
all. At least from my experience, the video collections had to become
self-sustaining fiscally or be discontinued completely. Given that
choice, I
think even the irritated middle class would vote for a continued
collection.
Bryan
Glendale Public Library