RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

Blane Halliday (bhalliday@collier-lib.org)
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:07:27 -0500

I also work in a public library that does not charge for any of its
materials (unless it is late, of course). I have never 'gotten' the
argument for charging for certain media, while not for others. Why charge
for the latest blockbuster movie hit while not for the latest bestseller in
print form? This amounts to media discrimination, plain and simple. I
would fight tooth and nail if our board began thinking about charging.

My ranty 2-cents.

Blane

Blane Halliday
AV Acquisitions Librarian
Collier County Public Library
2385 Orange Blossom Drive
Naples, Florida 34109
239-593-3511, ext. 45
bhalliday@collier-lib.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Eileen
Simmons
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 2:11 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: [Videolib] borrowing fees for videos

I work in a public library, and we don't charge fees for any media. I am
philosophically opposed to public libraries charging for media. I've never
seen a library decide to charge for books because the materials budget had
been cut, and I don't think they should do it for media.

Eileen Simmons
Everett Public Library
Everett, WA